Join us this summer for the Great Brodhead Bake Off! This family-friendly baking competition encourages you to make your best apple pie. Entries will be judged and remaining slices will be sold to benefit the Friends of Brodhead Memorial Public Library.
Two categories will be available, Adult/Adult Group and Junior/Junior Group. Families participating together should enter their pie into the category that best represents the age group doing the bulk of the work.
Pies need to be dropped off at the library between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. Photos of participants with their entry will be taken at drop-off. Winners will be announced on the Library's Facebook page once judging is complete.
Complete Bake-off rules:
- Only one entry per person/group
- Whole pies must be submitted
- To maintain anonymity, judges will be brought in only when all entries are in. No late entries will be permitted once judging has begun
- Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking or cooking may not enter the contest.
- Each dessert pie must be made from scratch and based in a 9” pie plate/pan. Disposable pans are preferred. Reusable tins will be available for pick at the library. Tins must be picked by July 9. If using a reusable tin, be sure the owners name is listed on the bottom of the tin.
- Participants agree to have their photo taken with their pie at drop off. Pictures may be used on social media, the library’s website, and sent to local newspapers for publication.
- You may not use pie filling or a pre-made store-bought crust
- A copy of your pie recipe, if provided, may be posted on the library’s website and/or social media.
- Each judge assigns a numerical value (1—5) in each criteria category, without consultation with the other judges.
- The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner.
- In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again.
- Winners will be announced after the judging is complete.
- Remaining pie slices will be sold as a donation to the Friends of Brodhead Memorial Public Library. Spectators who wish to purchase slices do so at their own risk.